“The emerging maker movement is the new mineral to mine and the future of industry in Australia.”
Deloitte: “Product Innovation in a hyper connected world: The Australian Maker Movement”
Fab Lab Adelaide is a community 3D printing and fabrication workshop that supports small businesses, schools and entrepreneurial and creative individuals through the provision of free and low cost access to equipment, expertise and training. Our goal is to empower people to bring their ideas to reality!
The Fab Lab concept was originated by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and there are now around 150 around the world. Fab Lab Adelaide is the first Australian-based participant in the international MIT Fab Lab network and has been in operation since 2012.
The Lab offers classes, workshops, open access drop-in sessions and tuition on how to use 3D printers, laser cutters and other digital fabrication equipment. It also offers services for businesses including training, machine hire, and design, prototyping and fabrication services. Find out how to use the Lab here.
What can I make at Fab Lab Adelaide?
Our 3D printers and laser cutters are capable of making a range of items, from prototyping of new products and inventions through to finished creative works – the only limit is your imagination! However to give you some inspiration, here are a few ideas:
- Small businesses can learn about 3D printing and be taught the skills to design for digital fabrication
- Inventors and hobbyists can connect with like-minded people and see their ideas turned into tangible objects
- Artists can broaden and enhance their practice using our tools, and create finished artworks using our laser cutter.
- Designers can use our 3D printers for basic prototyping of new products
- Students can learn about 3D design, 3D printing and other digital fabrication processes
Whether an artistic creation or a commercial product, the Fab Lab mission is to empower people to make their ideas a reality!